Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Guilty.

It's been a week. And already, I feel the urge. The urge to doll myself up just to go sit amongst a crowd of squealing tweens. To buy a Diet Coke larger than my head, settle into one of those grungy theater seats and stare at a screen. You see, I have a problem. I have been swept up in this little vampire craze. I would say I am ashamed to admit it, but I am totally not.

I am an avid reader. When I have extra money, I wonder the aisles of Barnes and Noble aimlessly for hours. Leaving with a stack of books higher than my eyeballs. Some say nerd. I would agree. :) During one of those adventures about five years ago, my eye caught a pretty black book with a shiny red apple on the front. They say don't judge a book by its cover. That one hooked me from afar. I had to pick it up. I put it back down immediately. "Ugh. Vampires. REALLY?!" I said under my breath to myself. A week later, I went back and bought it. I devoured that book in two hours between classes, sitting on a park bench at my college campus. I bought the sequel, New Moon in the student bookstore. Suffice it to say, I finished all four of Stephenie Meyer's delightfully cheesy and fluffy vampire novels in a week. See, that's the beauty of Twilight. Its amazing because its fluff. I am not trying to read anything more into these books like *ahem* some people.

I am notorious among my group of friends for being "A Vampire Dealer"...as in, I loaned out my dog eared books to my friends, skeptical and unknowing of the mystical addictive powers these books hold. Working in the most terrible place ever with one of my BEST friends and bridesmaids, April...we whiled away the hours imagining what Edward Cullen *really* looked like. Yeah, we were 21. So?! Then, Summit came along and gave us this little piece of man candy, complete with the.most.perfect. crooked smile:


I distinctly remember watching the trailer for Twilight repeatedly (on silent because our work computer had no speakers) and shrieking like maniacs when he curled that lip up ever so slightly. Freaks.

Since then, April, my sister Meghan and I have attended the midnight premiere of all three movies in the series thus far. Yes, I am 23 years old. And I am a Twerd. A Twi-hard. A Twilighter. I have a problem. I may or may not have bought my tickets for Eclipse the day they went on sale (two months before the release.)

But you see...Eclipse is my FAVORITE book. For oh, so many reasons. It opens with a Robert Frost poem. Jacob (the werewolf) becomes an integral part of the plot, Bella grows up...Edward lets her. I do NOT buy into this stupid Team Jacob, Team Edward crap! I love them both. So does Bella. She belongs with Edward, but that does not mean I have to hate Jacob. I mean, Jacob and Bella have some serious chemistry. And seriously, could they have picked a more perfect Jacob. I fully approve of Taylor Lautner.

 


I feel like the first movie was terrible. It was an almost indie flick. Low budget, no frills. And the actors were just coming into their own as stars. I remember thinking Kristen Stewart gave a painfully awkward performance. And watching her at award shows always embarrassed me. The poor girl is just so fidgety and nervous. All.The.Time.

But the movies have progressivley gotten better. (And leaps and bounds better for Eclipse. SO.GOOD!) And the actors have really learned how to act. I am drawn to KStew now. I think she is gorgeous, if a little awkward still. And I really feel like they are the characters. When I read the books now, I picture them. And I am okay with that.

  
They're just so pretty!

The movie was awesome. The best so far. They stuck to the book so well, without dragging on through the slow parts. There was amazing character development and lots of effects which made it downright scary, which the other two...just weren't. And can I just say? The intercharacter relation between the holy trinity of Twilight was awesome. The subtle punches between Jacob and Edward. The chemistry between Bella and both the boys. And ALL the supporting cast. Just wow. 

I cannot believe I just wrote about Eclipse. I am officially the lamest girl you know. And I love it. And I am seriously craving a Diet Coke and a matinee.

No comments:

Post a Comment