Thursday, July 22, 2010

Meggie Munchkin

On this day, 21 years ago...my parents blessed me with my baby sister, Meghan. From the moment she was born, I called her "my baby." Not my baby sister. Just my baby. That's how I still feel about her. No matter how old or beautiful she gets, she will always be that bouncing, hyper girl with the blonde ringlets and big brown eyes.

 
Me, Meghan and my big brother Tim. 21 Years ago. 

I once described Meghan as my own personal champagne. There really is no better way to say it. She has this bubbly nature and effervescent smile that can just light you up from the inside out. She is my best friend. My maid of honor. I am fiercely protective of her to this day (even if I do dream of throwing bicycles at her.)

I am a nurturing person by nature. I love taking care of people. Meghan always let me. Just take her under my wing and show her the way. Sometimes, it was really REALLY the wrong way. But, she never doubted me. Just kept on going along for the ride. Through many a Barbie make believe game, to countless high school lacrosse games where we would sit in 15 layers of clothes, still freezing our butts off but laughing the whole time. She became my "bad luck charm" in the car. I think we have been in 3 car accidents together? I blame her...but she just laughs it off and tells me I am just a bad driver. Which I am. 

She can do the B E S T Gollum impression ever and consents to do so whenever I want her to. Just to make me laugh. She loves Nerds and Bubbletape to this day, the grape kind thank you. She is just such a sweet little girl inside of an old soul. Her eyes are knowing. Her smile is infectious. When she cries, I swear the foundation of my soul cracks. She is just so...pure and her sadness is devastating. Which is why I work so hard to make sure she is never sad. I have given my fair share of "I'll kill you if you hurt her" speeches, much to her embarrassment. And even tattled on her a few times for her safety. I may not have ever been the best big sister. But she is the world's greatest little one. 

Thank you God and Mom and Dad for giving me such a wonderful present. I never could have made it this far in life without that little mischievous twinkle in her eyes that cheers me on and without that silly laughter that makes everything right with the world. 

Happy birthday my little Meggie Munchkin. I love you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment