Monday, August 30, 2010

The Hunger Games

Day 4/30: Your Favorite Book

I am a reader. I probably make it through about 7-8 books each month. I know that seems unbelievable, but I do. Barnes and Noble employees know me by name. My Nook goes everywhere with me. I use books as decor, stacked artistically under photos. I truly believe a house is not a home without a bundle of books that have been read repeatedly. 

I do not think I need to go into the explanation that there is no way I have one favorite book. There are so many great ones out there. So many authors that I love, so many books that have spoken to me on a higher level. However, for the purposes of this blog, I am going to list ONE book that has impacted me strongly as of late. (I know, I am finally following the rules!)
This book. Wow. I do not have enough words to describe the amazing depths of this novel. It is a young adult novel. It is a sleeper hit among giants like Twilight and Harry Potter, but it is every bit as engrossing, and dare I say? Even more well written.

As some background: this is a novel set in the near future in what used to be The United States. The country is now called Panem, and instead of all the individual states that used to comprise the USA, Panem is split into several separate districts based on what goes on there. For instance, there is a fishing district, a mining district, etc. Because of a revolution which the general public evoked upon the rich upper class people living in "The Capitol" the entire country pays a daunting price each year. As punishment for this revolution, the districts must select 2 young children each year to participate in "The Hunger Games" The children are thrown into an arena, which has been designed with many obstacles to hurt them and they must fight to the death...all while being televised for the amusement of the upper class.

This novel is absolutely gripping. I could not put it down. I believe I devoured it in about 4 hours. There are also two sequels, which are equally fantastic. It is equal parts Survivor (think reality TV televising extremely private moments and personal despair) and a study in humanity. The subject matter is unthinkable. But honestly, what would you do in that situation? You either kill or be killed. Collins brings about a slew of characters that you will despite and some you fall in love with and that will break your heart. I have never read a more thought provoking novel. It really brings to life what humans can do to each other. It is terrible. Beautiful. Astounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment