Thursday, May 6, 2010

Peony Dreams

I wrote a little while back about my absolute adoration for a big, poufy flower called a peony. I really had my heart set. I knew it was a very far away dream...but I wanted them nonetheless.

After doing some research online, I figured out that in Colorado, peony season is like May-July. Basically, not even close to October 1st. Boo. However, I also learned that for "a price" you could get whatever flowers you wanted flown in from wherever had them. The risk in doing this is a flower wholesaler or garden shop or whatever needs to have a big heads up so the flowers look like they are in season and not like some pathetic raggedy version of the real flower. I know this is the most ridiculous thing to do. Why would I pay like $1000 for just one bouquet? I wouldn't, but yet somehow I still held out hope.

I think I have mentioned before how much nice, helpful people are truly a rarity in this adventure called wedding planning. At this point (very far behind) I have emailed no less than 20 florists from around the Denver area asking about the possibility of peonies, anemones and ranunculous in October. Literally almost every single response was, "those flowers are not available in October." or "there is no way I can get my hands on anything decent like that in October." Psh. Thanks, ladies... basically, I had all but given up hope on my wedding flower dreams. Pretty sad when you consider that I am not using fresh flowers for anything besides my bouquet, the bridesmaids bouquets and the bouttonniers. *Sigh*

But a couple days ago, I opened up my email to the sweetest, most helpful email I have ever received. The actual name of the florist is "The Scarlet Bloom" ...our flower girl and the sweetest little girl I know is named Scarlet. How cute is that? The very kind owner assured me that peonies would be very difficult to do in October and also very expensive for not very good quality (bonus points for honesty here!) However, what she did that no one else could be bothered to do was give me an alternative. Let me know that she does want my business and would be happy to help me figure out something just as beautiful. I knew right away this is the florist I will be working with. She is just a bright spot in a business where apparently, it is okay to write off your customers' requests. You all know me: customer service extraordinaire...so when I find someone out there in the service world who treats a customer like I would...they are my new favorite person. :)

Anyway, what she reccommended to me were English Roses. She said they grow big and fragrant and she can open them up in the bouquets to create a look very similar to peonies for a fraction of the cost. And you know something? I might like them better! They have the poufy look without being too messy. They come in a wide variety of beautiful colors and again...fraction of the cost. She also assured me that we could do a beautiful bouquet with the English roses and Ranunculous and she would be happy to show me all the flowers she works with and let me choose some other favorites too. I love her. I am sure I'll be singing her praises in an official review after the wedding.

For your viewing pleasure, here are some examples of the English roses that she sent me:
 Ivory:
  

Blush:
  

Pink:
 

I really love them. Just as a reference, here is the "blush" color peony bouquet I was in love with. They really do look very similar and I think all bunched together in a bouquet it would produce a very similar effect:
 

I am happy. :) The same look, fraction of the cost and a nice florist. I believe that's my home run for the day. I am going to a consultation with Miss Holly (cute name too!) next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment