Monday, February 15, 2010

Save the Dates

YAY! I just completed my first big DIY project for the wedding. Our save the dates! Since I have such an awesome connection at a portrait studio, I decided long ago that I wanted to do a save the date magnet with our photo on it. I did not want to just stick a magnet in the mail though, so I had to devise a plan for a sort of card to put it on and make it look cute. As I am sure you know, I draw a lot of ideas from my "muse," Heather at road to the aisle. She is a DIY genius and I truly want to be just like her. However, I want my wedding to still be mine, so I have taken some of her ideas and put my own spin on them. Our weddings are very different in style, and its awesome just to have a model to go off of when there are so many teeny details to think of.

I really am super thankful to my wonderful mama in all of this. She is the one with the patience to sit there on Microsoft Publisher and design the layout of the card. I absolutely LOATHE formatting documents, so thank the Lord I have her to do those ucky things for me :). I designed the actual magnet with one of our engagement photos in my beloved Photoshop. I actually have just recently become good at Photoshop, I could always use it to edit photos, but I am having so much fun learning how to create things on there...this was my first creation:

 

I wanted to incorporate our unusal wedding colors into this first project as well as all the others I have in mind. We are going with mostly chocolate brown with pops of tiffany blue and kind of a pomegranate pink. I got the inspiration for this color scheme from a piece of scrapbooking paper of all things. I am a paper freak...I could have a whole room full of paper just because. I know there are people that read this blog that will be getting one of these in the mail, so sorry to spoil the surprise. I was just so ecstatic about getting my FIRST project done! That really makes all of this seem so much more concrete and real! I will post some instructions on what I did for my save the dates just as soon as I am sure that my guests received them in the mail. (Wouldn't want to give away any more suprises!)
I am thrilled with how they turned out, and although they took a lot of patience and accuracy with teeny tiny parts and glue, (which made me want to burn them!) I am very proud of the happy little stack sitting on my table just waiting to be stuffed into envelopes. Let the addressing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment