Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Channeling Martha Stewart: Good Things

I realized the other day that through this blogging process, I have done a lot of complaining and not so much praising the wonderful things I have accomplished/dealt with during these stages of wedding planning. I know I have briefly mentioned some good experiences, but between puppy problems and incompetent people, I have definitely not spent an adequate amount of time on the good things.

Let me start with my inspiration for this blog...Heather over at Road to The Aisle. Truthfully, I have no real recollection of how I stumbled across her amazing DIY blog. If I remember correctly, my mom was Googling some things and came across it on accident. I first looked at her amazing pocket-fold invitations, and then got completely sucked in. I read her entire blog, all the way back through the archives. It was after diligently reading through her entire journey, that I decided that it would be so fun and fulfilling to have a written souvenir of this process...because it can be somewhat of a whirlwind. I am positive that once this is all over, having something to come back and read will be such a blessing.Therefore, I owe a huge thanks to Heather for being such a creative and inspiring person.

It was actually because of Heather that I decided which route to take for our wedding invites. I had always known I wanted to make them myself, because store bought versions are just so generic and truth be told, I am much too picky. We have an amazing scrapbooking store here called Archiver's and it was my intention to do my invitations through them at first....that is, until I went there and saw that a package of 20 pocket-folds, without any embellishment, inserts or envelopes, would cost me $40.00. I needed around 100 invitations so I was already looking at spending $200 on JUST the pocket-folds alone. The corresponding inserts and everything were similarly priced, so just to put the whole thing together out of store bought, ready made materials would have cost me almost $600! That breaks down to $6.00 per invite without postage, and I was just not willing to go there. Using Heather for her resourcefulness, I decided I could make MY OWN invites, from start to finish for much cheaper. This included ordering cardstock, cutting, scoring, folding and sticking for the outside pocket part. She had used a company called Anchor Paper, located in Minnesota. I figured I could find a similar company closer to me and so I tried...to no avail. I ended up back on the Anchor Paper site where the prices were incredible.

As I was browsing the Anchor Paper site, I realized that maybe I could ask them to at least cut my cardstock to the appropriate size so that all I had to do was fold it and cut the flap and the pocket. So I sent an email asking about that, and asking for a couple sample colors of cardstock to use as an accent. The owner, Tom, got back to me almost immediately. He was so nice and accommodating. He quoted me the price for the cardstock at $80 for 130 sheets, CUSTOM CUT. Remember, the comparable ready made ones would have cost $200 for only 100 of them. Needless to say, SCORE! He also said he would mail it right away, along with the Classic Linen cover weight sheets I decided to purchase for my inserts and a couple sample colors of cardstock. This entire purchase cost me $108, plus shipping. I could not believe my luck and I will always sing Tom's praises. Talk about an amazing service, price and a refreshing change of dealing with an actual person!

I am going to start making my pocketfolds here soon, my save the dates are in the mail and I am planning on starting an aisle runner project too! Yay, wedding planning! Also, Charlie dog seems to be doing much better today. Thanks to everyone for your happy thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment