Monday, April 12, 2010

Off Season Heartbreak

As some of you may know, I am a diehard Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Its a long, silly story as to how I became one but since I was around 8 years old I have rooted for them. I got a little more intense in high school, when my dad finally sat me down and "tutored" me about football. I am proud to say I know more about the game than any other girl I have ever met before. Josh says that is one of the things that sealed the deal with me: that I LOVE football, I am not a fairweather Denver Broncos fan like most people in this state, and I can get a tiny bit intense when my boys are playing.

I guess you could say the last couple years have been a dream come true for Steelers fans. I have been having so much fun watching them succeed and falling in love with certain players. I always tell people that Willie Parker is my favorite because he is. Followed closely by Mr. Troy Polamalu. I mean, who doesn't like his perma-grin and long, flowing hair as he beats the hell out of the opposing team?  Last year, I was sort of in a state of mourning over my boys: Polamalu was injured for the majority of the season, and damn...what a difference that made in the way the team played. One thing I rejoiced in however, was the breakout performaces given by #10 Santonio Holmes. For Christmas, I wanted a Steelers jersey. I couldn't decided which player I wanted, and I asked Josh for a Holmes. He couldn't find one so I am proudly sporting #43 during all the games, but STILL. Love him. Great football player. Someone I was really looking forward to seeing wearing the black and gold for a long time.

Well my friends, today I signed on to Facebook and my Pittsburgh Steelers feed informed me that my beloved #10 has been traded to THE JETS!!!!!!!!! WHY?!?!?!?! I honestly stared at the computer screen with my jaw hanging open until Josh read over my shoulder this devastating news. He did not say anything either, he just made that face where you purse your lips in super tight and looked at me with raised eyebrows. If I wasn't so upset, I would have laughed. Josh knows how serious I am about my team and he was waiting for the storm. Well, there was one. I yelled. Used lots of obscenities. Pouted like a 4 year old. And now I am blogging it. I am in disbelief. Saddened...so very saddened.

All jerkface Kevin Colbert (Director of Football Operations for the Steelers) had to say about it was this:
“We have agreed to trade Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets. We believe the move is in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers"

Pshh...how this is in the "best interest of the Steelers" is beyond me!  Apparently our dummy QB can keep getting into "altercations" in strip clubs with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, but Santonio has a less than stellar season last year and they trade him!!! Now, don't get me wrong...I love me some Ben but seriously...seriously?!?!? Does no one remember that *beautiful* game winning TD against the Cardinals in Superbowl XLIII?!?!


    
Yeah. That catch. Those toes. Than WIN!!!

It doesn't happen very often that I am disgusted with my team, but this is one of those times. Maybe by the time football season rolls around again, I will have tended my wounds and will not be so bitter. Maybe. 

  
Santonio, you will be missed buddy. As of this moment in time I am predicting the New York Jets are going to the Super Bowl this year. We'll see. You deserve better. Make 'em proud #10. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment